Sunday, January 10, 2010

Tuesday Jan 12th Assignment

List

-hand
-warm
-cold
-tomb
-silence
-days
-chill
-nights
-heart
-blood
-veins
-life
-conscience


Even after listing items that appear in John Keats's poem, "The Living Hand"
I still have a few problems figuring out what it is supposed to beabout.
The two words that I believe really play off each other and work together in
this poem are temperaturedescriptors- warm, icy, and chill, and blood. I
believe that these all work together in way that shape the true sense of the poem.
Keats’s is writing about life and the vitality of blood. I think that by
incorporating multiple temperature descriptors, he is illustrating the different
phases of life.


While I understand the temperature does not make an inherent connection with life
and fatality, it is through the incorporation and mention of blood that we see how
the
two are pieced together. While I am still uncertain of the exact message that
the
poem is trying to send, I can deduce that life and death interweaved throughout
the
entire piece.

I liked Keats’s small, but potent incorporation of blood and temperature because
I think that his discretion allowed him to introduce ideas in a way that are
subconscious to the reader. Incorporating yet one more noun, heart, Keats’s
solidifies the ideas introduced by the temperature references and the mention
of blood.


I also liked the ideas put forward by Keats’s because like the heart his poem is
rhythmic. The beats provided in the poem seem to match the life that he put into
the poem when he was writing it. I am of the opinion that he kept this poem short
to mimic the length of a heartbeat both short and powerful, and necessary for life.
I also believe that this parallel can be carried onto the greater scheme of life;
most people will agree that life is short as is the poem. I think by using a handful
of powerful words Keats’s creates a poem that mimics the larger structure and
interpretations of life.





No comments:

Post a Comment