Monday, January 25, 2010

Don't diss the Droid

At an intersection where nature, machines, and uncertainty meet, lies a place of undeniable uncertainty. Watching the melting worlds of poetry, music, and graphics come together seemed like something that shouldn’t exist. I think that it is such a powerful meeting of three different genres that would have no problem standing on their own. I am torn about whether the machinima effect actually enhanced for detracted from the poem. I think in certain aspects that the poem was enhanced by the machinima-lized effect. I think the droid like character is working to portray a human, and the message is saying that someone felt so mechanical, so unattached from their emotions, that they felt like a machine. I think that this is not immediately clear to the viewer, but after watching it a couple of times it became clear to me that the objective of the video creator. When the white droid guy looks up to the sky, it’s clear to me that he is looking for a way, a reason, or answer. At the end when he drowns in the water, I think that shows that there was no answer, and he wanted to leave this world because he was no longer connected with it in a way that held any positive aspects.
Overall I think that the machinima held true to the values of the poem. I believe that poets write with a large range of emotions and feelings in mind, and while the author may have intended the poem to mean something different then what the reader interprets it as, the new interpretation is never wrong. I think that it held true to the overall themes, and might be an additional way to inspire students and poems readers to connect with poems that might seem more difficult to understand. I believe that the machinima stayed true to the poem because it provides another way to understand the complexities of the poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment