Sunday, March 7, 2010

I might need help finding the connect to my essay....

Bladerunner, much like Frankenstein and R.U.R. deals with the scientific fantastical creations of creature forms. In the film see robots, paralleling the ideas of robots set forth in R.U.R. I think the largest similarity that I found was related to feeling and emotion, which we can also observe in Victors creation. In Frankenstein we know what the creature has feelings because we can see him haunting Victor by killing the people that are dear to him. In R.U.R. we see the creation of these robots who do not have souls, but can feel physical pain, which is the beginning of a greater sense of feeling or emotion. In the film, the group of robots that want to transition in to the real world have memories they were given, but have trouble shaping emotions around these memories. When the robots start to transition into what one could potentially call a normal life, I start to wonder about their interactions with humans. In all the plots, we see these transitions, a middle ground where the created beings must somehow some way interact with humans, and each adopts a very unique perspective of way to act around them. I see the trend of revolting in all three of the plots. In Frankenstein the creature revolts against Henry by killing the people close to him, in R.U.R the robots revolt and are then deemed Adam and Even, and in Bladerunner the six staples work to disguise themselves and survive in the real world. I think this another similarity between the three stories is disguising. Victor tries to hide his creature all together because he looks a little bit different than the average human, but none the less tries to conceal the idea. In the other two stories, the robots are well disguised physically, it is their emotions that they have to work on developing in order to be properly disguised in their new found worlds. I am still having trouble finding a connection between my topic of gender, scientific life forms, and male dominance. I think the only strong point I could think of would be the last scene where Harrison Ford is saved.
As far as Roy goes, I feel that Roy, really takes the lead, and shows the care free attitude of you have to risk some sort of freedoms to get what you want. Unlike the creature who doesn’t get a mate, R.U.R. and Bladerunner illustrate the connection on a higher level.

No comments:

Post a Comment